domingo, 1 de agosto de 2010

A. What advice would you give to a friend suffering from culture shock?
Tell him that being in another country is not an oportunity that many people have, so he better take advantage of it. For example going out and meeting people from that country so he will learn about the culture.
B. What personality traits do you think could help prevent culture shock?
The main trait that could help is being open minded in every aspect. From food to people habits. And learning about the culture of that country before going there.
C. What variables might make culture shock more or less severe?
Something that would really make culture shock less severe is keeping on contact with friends and family from your own culture and making it more severe is obviously doing the opposite.

3 comentarios:

  1. ok i think that your answers are so accurate but i think that people can have culture shock in many different aspects, however the biggest one is the food, and sometimes the culture...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hey Sergio,

    I'm wondering about your answer to question C. Do you think that staying in contact with your own culture would make culture shock MORE of LESS severe? You said "less," but I would almost think it would be more severe... wouldn't always looking back towards your home culture prevent you from looking forward and noticing the host culture all around you?

    Ryan

    ResponderEliminar
  3. @coyote First I don't think that the biggest culture shock is food, maybe because in my whole life I have have adapted to whatever for eating even if it's without rice and beans.

    @Sitzman well that's my own opinion maybe you're right because you have traveled and you know the way it is. But for me I think that I couldn't just let my family and old friends behind. I think that is okay know new people to understand the culture and get to know it, but not forgeting your own culture because you'll be really vulnerable to the "come back shock" or however it is called. ^_~

    ResponderEliminar